Eliza Thompson House
5 West Jones St. Savannah, Georgia 31401
Innkeeper: Del Mundle firstname.lastname@example.org
- WiFi throughout the hotel
- Deluxe Continental Breakfast served in our garden courtyard
- Wine and Hors d'oeuvres reception each evening
- Homemade desserts and coffee after dinner
- Complimentary access to a computer and printer in our parlor
- Newspapers available each day in our Garden Courtyard
In 1847, the house was home to Eliza and Joseph Thompson (pictured here) and their seven children. It was one of the finest homes in Savannah, and the location of many grand parties and celebrations.
Eliza was widowed only eight years after her husband built the beautiful house. She continued to manage her husband's holdings, while maintaining her Jones Street mansion and a full schedule of entertaining in the courtyard.
Joseph, whose portrait hangs in the R. Bruce room, served on several bank boards and made a living buying and selling cotton. He also financed the building of special homes to sell to others. After Joseph's death in 1855, Eliza was left to raise their five daughters and two sons.
The house remained in the Thompson family after Eliza’s death on February 9, 1875. Two of her daughters remained in the house until the early 1920s when it was sold to a doctor.
In the 1950s the house was sold to a dentist and remained his office and living quarters until 1977 when the property was sold again and converted it into an inn.